We are seeking highly motivated, innovative, professional chefs who are able to work autonomously within a private kitchen of luxury ski chalets. You will be responsible for menu creation allowing you to express your individual style and flare within a fine dining style of service. The role is demanding but extremely rewarding which allows you to directly impress your guests with a five star service.
You will be responsible for breakfast and evening service six days a week as well as preparing an afternoon cake to leave for guests. Continental and cooked breakfast are offered and evening service includes canapes, amuse bouche, starter, main, dessert and petit fours. Two other chefs will complete the company chef team and you can work together to prepare, budget and plan, however, each chef is responsible for running their own kitchen and meal services within a chalet.
Working for a luxury company, we expect our chefs to be absolutely professional in every way. You will be working in a guest facing, open plan kitchen and must be presentable, confident and calm at all times. Whilst we offer a fine dining service, guests take the chalets on a private use basis and are free to request changes to menus within reasonable planning time for the chef. Examples of previous requests being sushi, Indian, Mexican, barbecue style nights.
*Chefs must send recent photos of food creations, sample menus and links to any appropriate social media accounts such as (e.g.) your Instagram chef account with their application
- Menu creation
- Preparing and serving breakfast, afternoon tea and evening meal six days per week
- Budgeting for and procuring supplies
- Accounting and budget sheet submission weekly
- Catering to all varieties of food preferences/allergies/intolerances
- Catering for children’s meals if required
- Maintaining all health and safety standards and regulations
- Set up and shut down of kitchen including stock takes and inventories
- Overall care of kitchen and kitchen equipment including daily cleaning
- Weekly meetings with GM
- Extensive work experience in a fine dining restaurant – Michelin star or Rosette preferred or private chef experience working in the luxury sector
- Professional catering and food hygiene and safety qualifications
- Highly professional, presentable and punctual
- Able to work in an open environment with a positive and calm demeanor
- Positive, energetic team leader who will support and encourage chalet hosts
- Adaptable and flexible toward guest requirements and changes
- Organised, self-sufficient and self-motivated
Q. I am passionate about cooking but have no culinary qualifications/training/experience, can I apply?
A. Unfortunately not, we only hire professionally trained chefs with excellent restaurant or private chef experience
Q. Will I be working in a commercial kitchen?
A. The chalet kitchens are open plan residential kitchens which have been purpose built for catering with, for example, double ovens. We also provide equipment such as sous vides, table top fryers and ice cream makers. You will be expected to bring your own knives.
Q. How do I budget and where do I source ingredients?
A. You will be given a set budget per person per day and it is your responsibility to manage that budget throughout the season. There is an excellent range of providers within Morzine and the surrounding towns where the majority of ingredients will be sourced. We have also used UK suppliers who supply direct and previous chefs have brought specific ingredients and elements with them in the past.
Q. Will I work in the same chalet for the whole season?
A. You will most likely work in one chalet for the majority of the time, however, there will be some weeks when you will work in a different chalet or be sent to assist one of the other chefs depending on guest movements and weekly bookings. You should be flexible and adaptable to change in this respect.
Q. Will I get to ski/snowboard much?
A. Absolutely! We want our chefs to enjoy everything the mountains have to offer. Morzine is a fantastic place to spend a winter season and we provide you with a full area Portes Du Soleil ski pass so you can make to most of it! We want chefs who come to work hard and ski hard! Working independently in the kitchen, you are in control of your time and can enjoy the mountains all winter.
Q. I have never skied/boarded before, does that matter?
A. No not at all. We have had previous staff who have never been on snow before and we have had staff who have done many seasons before. Either way, by then end of your season you will be a natural! You can take advantage of lessons when you arrive but we would advise that you try to get some experience before you come, purely from a social point of view so that you can join the others who can ski right from the beginning.